Do you have a lot of data that you want to store and share securely and quickly? Are you looking for a powerful and versatile NAS server for your home or office environment? Then the Synology DS3622xs+ might be something for you. In this review, we will look at the specifications, the unboxing, the software and the use of this NAS server. We end with our conclusion about the pros and cons of this product. Read on to find out if this NAS meets your needs.
• The Synology DS3622xs+ has the following specifications:
• Processor: Intel Xeon D-1531 6-core 2.2 GHz
• Memory: 16 GB DDR4 ECC SODIMM (expandable to 32 GB)
• Storage: 12 x 3.5″ or 2.5″ SATA HDD/SSD (up to 192 TB)
• Ports: 4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1, 2 x eSATA, 2 x RJ-45 1GbE LAN, 2 x RJ-45 10GbE LAN
• Dimensions: 270 x 300 x 340 mm
• Weight: 9.5 kg
• Power consumption: 101 W (access), 46.8 W (HDD sleep mode)
• Noise level: 25.8 dB(A)
• Warranty: 5 years
These specifications show that the Synology DS3622xs+ is a very powerful and comprehensive NAS server that is suitable for heavy and complex tasks. The processor is one of the fastest you can find in a NAS server, the memory is ample and expandable, the storage capacity is impressive and the ports are diverse and fast. The dimensions and weight are on the large and heavy side, so you need to have enough space to place it. The power consumption and noise level are reasonable for a NAS server of this class, but you can lower them by enabling the HDD sleep mode. The warranty is also generous, with five years of support from Synology.
The price of the Synology DS3622xs+ is not cheap at all, but in line with the quality and the possibilities that you get. This NAS costs about €3,000 to €3,500 without disks. That is a considerable investment, but if you have a lot of data that you want to store and share securely and quickly, it may be worth it. How does this Synology compare to other NAS servers in this price range?
There are not many competitors that offer the same specifications and features as the Synology DS3622xs+. A possible competitor is the QNAP TS-h1688XU-RP, which also has an Intel Xeon D processor, but with eight cores instead of six. The QNAP also has more memory (32 GB standard, expandable to 128 GB), more ports (6 x USB 3.2 Gen 1, 4 x RJ-45 10GbE LAN, 2 x RJ-45 2.5GbE LAN) and more storage space (16 x 3.5″ or 2.5″ SATA HDD/SSD). The QNAP, however, also has a higher power consumption (250 W maximum), a higher noise level (40 dB(A)) and a higher price (about €4,000 to €4,500 without disks). Moreover, the QNAP is a rackmount model, which may be less suitable for home or office environments.
For some reason I received a really damaged demo model, this model has broken drawers, scratches on all sides, etc.
However, this does not affect the operation of a ‘new/normal’ model. I therefore do not judge the 3622xs+ on the condition of this demo model, but on how it would normally be – and also the possibilities.
Typically, the NAS comes with the following:
– AC power cable
– RJ-45 LAN cable
-Quick Installation Guide
The hard drives are normally simply placed in a bay (can also be screwed in place) and then slide into place in a SATA and power connector. In my review I use 5x Toshiba MG09ACA18TE.
Probably a somewhat bad photo, but in this case pins – in many drawers – have broken off. It is also not a bad idea to secure the hard drives with screws (included).
The connections on the back are as follows:
– 2x RJ-45 1GbE LAN Port (with Link Aggregation / Failover support)
– 2x RJ-45 10GbE LAN Port (with Link Aggregation / Failover support)
– 1x Out-of-Band Management LAN Port
– 2x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Port*
– 2x Expansion Port
– 1x PCIe Expansion Gen3 x8 slot (x8 link)
– 1x power connection
If there is not enough memory yet, it can be expanded to 48GB (8 GB x 2 + 16 GB x 2).
What I can appreciate is that each panel on the side or top can be detached separately. This means that the entire NAS does not have to be disassembled if not necessary.
The Intel Xeon D-1531 is kept cool by a passive fan. And that is not surprising since there are two large fans at the back to move air quickly.
The 3622xs+ features a PCIe Expansion Gen3 x8 slot (x8 link).
The software consists of two main components: the operating system DiskStation Manager (DSM) and the various applications that you can install and use. DiskStation Manager (DSM) is the operating system that runs on the Synology DS3622xs+. It is an intuitive and user-friendly web interface that gives you access to all the functions and settings of your NAS server. You can open and manage DSM via any web browser on your computer, tablet or smartphone. DSM offers you, among other things, the following possibilities:
• Create and manage storage volumes, shared folders, users, groups and permissions Configure network, security and system options, such as firewall, VPN, SSL, updates and backups
• Monitor the status, performance and resources of your NAS server, such as CPU, memory, disks and network
• Install and update applications from the Package Center or from external sources Activate and use advanced features, such as high availability, virtualization, snapshots and replication
There are hundreds of applications available in the Package Center or from external developers, which serve different purposes. For example, you can install applications for:
• File synchronization and sharing, such as Synology Drive, Cloud Sync and File Station Backup and recovery, such as Hyper Backup, Active Backup for Business and Snapshot Replication
• Multimedia streaming and management, such as Video Station, Audio Station and Photo Station
• Productivity and collaboration, such as Synology Office, Chat and MailPlus
• Virtualization and containerization, such as Virtual Machine Manager and Docker
• Surveillance and security, such as Surveillance Station, Synology C2 Password and Secure SignIn
The software of the Synology DS3622xs+ is therefore a powerful and versatile platform that enables you to customize and optimize your NAS server according to your wishes. You can benefit from the user-friendly interface, the reliable performance and the extensive support of Synology. You can also easily add or remove new applications to meet your changing needs.
The user experiences of the Synology DS3622xs+ are generally very positive. Most users are satisfied with the performance, software, scalability and reliability of the NAS server. They also praise the versatility, ease of use and support of Synology. They find that this NAS is an excellent choice for demanding applications such as VM and container storage, video editing, file synchronization and sharing, backup and recovery, and surveillance…
The cool thing about DSM is that it also works the same everywhere as the other cheaper and smaller Synology nas. So there is a very wide OS available that works very well and is very stable. The advantage you get from this is that it doesn’t really matter what kind of nas you buy from Synology. You learn one specific system, and that then works everywhere (of course they also update the OS regularly, just like Windows with 7, 8, 11, etc.)
The text (review) continues below the images! The images speak for themselves given the options the nas offers.
Because of this I also used the screenshots from the previous review of the DS1522+. These correspond to this NAS, but of course it has more bays and options! 🙂
The storage of the Synology can be set up in different ways;
SHR, SHR-2, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10, Basic, JBOD and RAID0.
All these raid types have their own good feature. It is therefore good to read in what you need for your storage.
The coolest thing about Synology is that there are a huge number of apps available.
The configuration menu is also not bad, here – as we are used to from Synology – a lot of things can be adjusted.
The Synology NAS can also be joined to a network domain or even LDAP. Even SSO is an option.
Of course things like firewall, security, network access can be added.
If you are a techie who likes to play with the terminal / CLI, that is also an option with Synology.
Fortunately, the system can be kept up-to-date quickly by setting it as an automatic update or by clicking the button for the manual DSM update.
One of the important programs is really the storage manager. This has all the information about the status of the hard drives / SSDs / NVMes.
The use of the Synology DS3622xs+ is simple and enjoyable. You can quickly and easily install and configure the NAS server via the web interface or the Synology Assistant app. You can use the NAS server for various purposes, such as:
• File synchronization and sharing: You can synchronize and share your files between your devices and with others via Synology Drive, Cloud Sync, File Station or other applications. You can also access your files remotely via QuickConnect or VPN. Multimedia streaming and management: You can stream and manage your media collection via Video Station, Audio Station, Photo Station or other applications. You can also transcode, index, tag, organize and search your media.
• Virtualization and containerization: You can run virtual machines or containers on your NAS server via Virtual Machine Manager or Docker. You can also integrate your NAS server with VMware, Hyper-V, Citrix or other virtualization platforms.
• Backup and recovery: You can backup your important data to your NAS server, external disks, USB drives or cloud services via Hyper Backup, Active Backup for Business, Snapshot Replication or other applications. You can also restore your data in case of loss or corruption.
• Surveillance and security: You can connect your IP cameras to your NAS server and manage and record them via Surveillance Station. You can also secure your NAS server against unauthorized access or attacks via SSL/TLS encryption, 2FA, firewall, VPN or other security features.
The Synology DS3622xs+ delivers excellent performance, stability and functionality in all tasks that you give it. The NAS server is fast and responsive in transferring files, streaming media, running VMs or containers, making backups or snapshots and performing benchmarks. The NAS server is also stable and reliable in all conditions that you encounter. It keeps working without problems or error messages. It recovers quickly from power outages or network interruptions. It alerts you of any issues or updates via email or push notifications. It protects your data from loss or corruption with RAID, snapshots and backups. The Synology DS3622xs+ is also very quiet and economical in use. It makes little noise, even with all twelve disk trays filled. It consumes about 100W at normal use and less than 50W in sleep mode. It does not get too hot, even under heavy load. It is easily accessible via web browser, mobile app or QuickConnect.
The Synology DS3622xs+ is also secure and up-to-date in use. It supports SSL/TLS encryption for web access and data transfer. It also supports 2FA, firewall, VPN and other security features. It receives regular updates from Synology for DSM and applications. It also receives support from Synology for five years warranty and technical assistance.
Some drawbacks of this NAS are:
• The lack of M.2 slots: The Synology DS3622xs+ has no built-in M.2 slots for installing SSD cache or NVMe storage, which is a missed opportunity for a NAS server of this class. You can use an eSATA port or a network card with M.2 slots, but that costs extra money and space.
• The limited compatibility with non-Synology hardware: The Synology DS3622xs+ works best with Synology’s own hard drives, network cards and expansion units, which are more expensive than other brands. If you use non-Synology hardware, you may encounter problems with installation, recognition or support. You may also get a warning message that you are using non-Synology hardware.
The Synology DS3622xs+ is a great NAS server for people who are looking for a powerful, versatile and reliable storage solution for their home or office environment. The NAS server delivers excellent performance, stability and functionality in all tasks that you give it. In addition, this powerhouse also has a user-friendly web interface, a diverse and fast port offering, a generous memory and a long warranty.
This Synology also has a powerful and versatile software platform that enables you to customize and optimize your server according to your wishes. You can benefit from the many applications that Synology offers for different purposes, such as file synchronization and sharing, multimedia streaming and management, virtualization and containerization, backup and recovery, surveillance and security, and more.
The biggest drawbacks of the DS3622xs+ are the high price, the lack of M.2 slots and the limited compatibility with non-Synology hardware. You have to be willing to spend a lot of money for this NAS and the associated hardware. If you can accept these drawbacks, then the Synology DS3622xs+ is an excellent choice for your storage needs. It is a NAS server that excels in all areas and that you will not easily encounter in this price range and it is definitely recommended.
Despite the fact that this was a used NAS with a lot of ‘points for attention’, this is normally not the case, and you have a well-functioning and, above all, new NAS.
For a company, this NAS is a must, it’s a powerhouse, literally! In addition, you can also expand to set up your own data center. Do know that it is also useful to have a back-up of your data somewhere off-site. Otherwise it won’t get you anywhere. Even a DS1522+ would be sufficient for this! 😉
The Synology DiskStation DS3622+ gets 4 out of 5 stars from me.